Oh, that's too bad OM. Sprained ankles such and, like Gershon alluded too, you don't really know off the bat if it's a sprain or a break.

When I was 13- or 14 I was horsing around (do people still say that?) on the steps of our Junior High School and sprained my ankle pretty good. Thing was, I wasn't supposed to be there and it was way past my time to have been home. It was about a two mile walk to get home, and there was no way I was calling my mom and telling her where I was, so I started gimping along. At first I sort of hopped on one leg, then I started limping, and after a while I realized I was walking. My ankle was still tender, but I was able to walk ok. The next day I was fine. I'm not sure there's any lesson in that, but that's how it went.

Now, just a couple years ago (more than 40 years later) I sprained my ankle down at my barn. It just folded over on me and I actually went into a slight shock. That one stuck with me for about a week or so. I'm not so sure that "walking it off" would have helped and since I didn't have to worry about my mom grounding me I decided not to try it laugh

Like Gershon, even when I day hike I take enough to spend a decently comfortable night or two, and that's because I know how easy it is to sprain an ankle, but, knocking on wood, I've never done that while hiking yet.

"You want to go where?"