Recently, I've been testing a Trangia alcohol stove. I've been using a SVEA 123R stove since 1977.

A couple weeks ago, I took the Trangia stove on a trip and used it in a shelter where it was dark enough to see the flame. Wow, that is pretty exciting. I wouldn't want to use it in a bright light where I couldn't see the flame.

I decided the windscreen wasn't tall enough, so this weekend I took a taller windscreen about three inches high. It boiled the water almost as quickly as the SVEA, and it worked well about 10 times. I was experimenting as well as drinking coffee and making meals. Then the windscreen melted and dumped the water.

It seems like the windscreen has to be designed for both the pot and the stove. It seems like the windscreen should surround the bottom 1/2 inch to inch of the pot. It seems like the pot should be about 3 inches above the stove for best efficiency.

Then there is the problem of removing the windscreen so the stove can be extinguished. I have a minor burn on a finger to show this isn't as easy as it sounds.

Does anyone have pictures of a design of a DIY windscreen that works well.

At this point, I consider an alcohol stove somewhat dangerous because the flame is invisible in bright light. I'm willing to be educated.

Thanks,

Gershon