Originally Posted By dylansdad77
What is the 1 item you brought with you on a backpacking trip (most likely early on in your hiking career) that when you got back home thought to yourself "What in the HECK was I thinking?"...

Honest to goodness, I've carried most the same goofy stuff as most (except a gun, I've never carried a gun), but my 1st response to the "What in the HECK was I thinking?" question is by far and away other people I brought.

And after thinking about it some more the answer would be the same if were to ponder the best thing I've brought.

As far as gear goes, I get to combine the two. I brought a "Camper's Saw" and a spool of heavy twine with me once on a trip, and I brought about 3 construction workers with me too. The saw was the kind with the thin stainless blade that folds into the handle, the twine was jute, and the construction workers were the young and burley beer drinking kind.

We camped at the mouth of a creek and river and there was a pretty big fallen Sycamore tree about a 100 yards up the creek when we got there.

What in the HECK was I thinking?

"You want to go where?"