You probably want to check the US Dept. of Agriculture rules for importing foods. I'm not sure they allow homegrown dried meat (as opposed to commercially packaged). Maybe it's no big deal from Canada; I don't really know. I don't think you folks have any animal diseases that we don't have. I don't know if the USDA puts their cute little green-jacketed beagles to work on shipped items, but they are in evidence at a lot of airports. The one time I really got the third degree was coming back from Europe in 2001, when foot-and-mouth disease was raging over there. That was understandable!

California's thing is plant products, especially fruit. Again, from a supermarket, OK, but from orchard or home garden fruit trees, no. Again, I don't know about home-grown dehydrated fruit. I cross the border from Oregon quite a bit. I just tell them it's all from the supermarket, which it is. Also, the border inspection station on US 199 (Grants Pass, OR to Crescent City, CA) is closed over half the time when I go through, so they evidently aren't all that serious, even with the apple maggot problems up here in the PNW.