Originally Posted By OregonMouse
If you really want to be sure, insert a day with sleeping at about 9,500-10,000 feet in between the easy day at 8500 and the hard day at 11,000. The best would be to split that hard day in two, if you can camp somewhere near the midpoint. You may have to do that anyway if the altitude/long day affect you.

Thanks! I do have the option of leaving my friends in boulder and camping at a trail head the night before (around 8000-9000). (I don't want to miss out on the last night, but hard decisions must be made at times smile In this scenario I could do a loop hike the first full day maybe up to 10,000, but then come back down to sleep at 9000 again. (so two nights at 9000). Then on the third day go straight up the drainage to the lake near the divide at 11,000.

This leads to a related question... On the hard day I'll wake up with the sun as usual, break camp and eat "snacks" for most of the day, so I think I can fairly easily cover 14 miles... seven hours of two mph. But is that fairly likely?

I need to re-read the Tyee Lake report, seems like about that distance was covered coming from sea level...

EDIT: adding on... okay the NOLS information was very helpful, especially the guideline of generally sleeping ~2000 ft above the previous night.

So it looks like I'll do 8000, 9000-10,000 and then a night near divide --- unless weather or performance indicates otherwise, of course.

Edited by jamieS (03/06/14 08:01 PM)