That's kind of my point - habituated bears are at their worst in the places I tend to go, Yosemite south to Sequoia NP. Especially Yosemite.

I'm sure it would discourage a bear that's merely curious. But these bears do kamikaze dives out of the tops of neighboring trees to get properly hung food, get into cars and shred the interiors for crumbs, walk up behind people who are getting into their bear box and look right in - yeah, no thanks.

There's a bear in Yosemite valley that can open a car door, and when she slides back out, her weight tips the car then throws the door shut behind her. So when the person comes back the interior is trashed and no indication of how the bear got in.

They used to relocate the bears - as far away as Sonora Pass. The bears always returned, over the many miles, to resume their food-obtaining shenanigans. There is no bear so determined as these.... I might try an ursack or similar somewhere else, but, no. The Sierra is home and the canister is my best friend. Long live the Bearikade.

http://hikeandbackpack.com