Jimmy, one way I have found to get quality gear at reasonable prices is to buy used. I have posted about buying used gear and clothes before so you might find some of my other posts on this. People buy things intending to go on trips that get cancelled for all kinds of reasons or quickly discover that camping just isn't for them.

I have bought a tent, backpack, ski boots, snowshoes, sleeping bag, stoves, that big parka you see in my avatar (like new, half price), a GPS, among other things, off of eBay, Craigslist, Trailspace or right here. Buying used takes research and patience. If you haven't used eBay before, I can offer some hints. Craigslist is a matter of searching constantly since you won't find as much stuff. However, a lot of the off brand stuff on eBay is questionable and there are fakes, so stick to brand names and ask questions.

Sites like Sierra Trading Post also offer great deals on overstock and last year's models of clothes and gear. I bought a pair of skis from them a while back at a fraction of the list price.

Edited by TomD (12/12/13 11:22 PM)