Jimmy, check out www.wintertrekking.com a website for deep winter camping. Read the topics on winter clothing and boots, then look through the forums. I learned a heck of a lot from the members.

I would also look at the Steger Mukluks that DJ recommended - along with his experience with them, according to some of the wintertrekking members who own them, they are comfortable and good to -25C or so. Check out the company's website at www.mukluks.com. I don't have a pair, but am thinking about getting some for winter camping.

The BD Mercury mitts look like a good choice. I tried them on while looking for mitts. You might also look at Heat Factory mitts. I have a pair of them that will hold a small heat pack - www.heatfactory.com I also have a pair of their orthotic footbeds that hold a small heat pack under the ball of your foot. I've used them in ski boots.

My newest pair of mitts are Grandhoe Makalu mitts I got last winter from Sierra Trading Post. If you get mitts, I would get them big enough to fit over a pair of light fleece gloves. I like the combination of gloves with big mitts over them. The Grandhoe mitts are not shells, they are a full insulated mitt for very cold weather.

Edited by TomD (12/10/13 11:05 PM)