While laboring to change my watch to standard time on Saturday, I started wondering: Why do we bother about one hour? I personally would like to see an end to this clock-changing nonsense. It's especially annoying in the fall because you have to move digital watches and many digital clocks ahead 23 hours because they won't go backwards. Either stay on DST the whole year or on Standard Time the whole year. What's an hour? There is also a proposal floating around to put the entire USA in 2 time zones, although I suspect that poor old Hawaii and Alaska will still be off by themselves.

The energy savings of DST are non-existent, especially where residential air-conditioning is common (almost everywhere except in the Pacific NW west of the Cascades). Everyone turns on the AC when they get home from work, which on DST is still the hottest part of the day. In this day of automated thermostats, the AC goes on an hour before they get home, even worse.

I'm wondering if Verizon agrees with me. My cell phone is still on Daylight Time. It changed automatically in the past, but not this time.

Just think, if we stayed on the same time all year, we'd save 10 minutes in March and another 10 minutes in November adjusting our timepieces, and we wouldn't have to reset our biological clocks twice a year (which, for some of us, is a bit harder). Nor would we have our dogs barking to be fed an hour before feeding time starting the first Sunday of November!

So why do we go through this silly "fall back" routine for only 4 months of the year?

What do you think?

Edited by OregonMouse (11/06/13 12:20 AM)