Originally Posted By PerryMK

I'm just about convinced that some foreign factories that make footwear for the big names (New Balance, Merrell, etc.) will make very similar or identical generic brand footwear also. I'm on the lookout for American made footwear but nothing is sold locally. Footwear is an item I prefer to purchase in person. What I have seen online is simply heavy. Probably long lasting, but heavy and unfortunately not available locally so I can't see how they fit.

This made me smile. I used to do golf club assembly, repair and fitting. During the course of doing business, I discovered that all the "clones" or "knockoffs" were made by the same four foundrys that made the name brand club heads. Guess what? The foundrys would simply not break the mold as required by contract, but would in fact copy the mold prior to breaking and then use those copies to produce the clone heads. Although the branding on the club heads was similar, the specs were extremely close. Don't know to this day why suit wasn't filed, but apparently winning such a case in China was a losing proposition. That was a few years ago and things may well have changed, however I wouldn't bet the house on it and I'd say the same thing happens in all things manufactured in China for name-brand anything. Aside from lowering manufacture costs here in the States, I'm sure that's another reason why more and more major manufacturers are bringing products back to the States.