Who cares how accurate this book is!?

I didn't buy it for a guide book. It was for entertainment and that it was!

Great read. Most of my family who heard I was hiking the AT had only known about the trail through this very popular book.

I must say I am also a fan of the "Bill Bryson is a Candy [Edited for inappropriate languge, please review forum policies for more information]" T - shirts.
Equally as entertaining.

I've only read it twice. Once before the trail and once after. Maybe its time for a reread.

My father read the book, just before I started my hike. I hurt my back early on and took like 1.5 days to get to the next road crossing. I hitched into town and got dropped off near 2 motels. One was Mulls (spelling) and the other was the holiday inn express up a hill - which at the time injured seemed like a huge mountain.

When I phoned my old man and told him where I was he started saying " thats the one in the books, thats the motel! How could you be there?!" It had the same description. Cigarrette burns on the toilet seat, sunken mattress. Overall sleezy dump.

The next day, after some rest I took the walk uphill to the Holiday Inn and enjoyed a soak in the hottub before moving along the trail.

Thanks for bringing back those memories - I so love this website!