I enjoyed it for what it is worth. Take it with a serious grain of salt. All Bryson's books are overdramatized, and that's a big part of the humor.

Be prepared for some flames on this book. It was out for about a year when I started my AT through-hike, and some hikers viciously ripped it apart. They cursed that the littering episode on the approach trail "is NOT funny, and should be condemned." I argued that it does still occasionally happen with inexperienced hikers. Others complained that he was rude about the staff at Rainbow Springs Campground. Yet I had other hikers who stayed there insist the portrayal was very much in accord with their experiences. (I can't say either way - I didn't stop there.)

Mostly understand that Bryson probably did about 700 miles of the trail. He lists I believe 840 miles of hiking, which I'm sure is true when you remember he backtracked many section in New Hampshire.

So read it, have fun with it, and don't get too bogged down with some of the "touchy" points some will bring up. There are other books which give a very accurate account but which aren't nearly as entertaining.

P. S. In Through-hiker circles in 1999, Bryson was trail-named "Megawimp" in absentia. I suspect he'd like knowing he'd been given a trail name.

PPS - If you want accuracy AND a funny flowing read, look up Walking on the Happy Side of Misery by J. R. Tate.