This problem seems to be genetic in my family. I had accidents until about 10, my sons (but not my daughter) had occasional accidents until age 9-10 and two of my grandsons had them until they were 13-14. My youngest grandson is almost 9 and still has them almost every night.

Yes, definitelycut back on fluids at night and eliminate the tea altogether. Tea is a diuretic (kidney stimulant) and contains caffeine, therefore is really not a good idea anyway, especially at bedtime. Because it's a diuretic, it's dehydrating so not good at any time when backpacking. Do this for all the kids so he doesn't feel singled out. If that doesn't work, get the kid up a couple hours after bedtime, too.

The most important thing, though, is attitude. Treat these accidents as matter-of-fact, nothing to worry about, these things happen. Talk to him privately, not in front of siblings. Do make sure he has a synthetic sleeping bag, not down. If he's having accidents, he's more likely to be too cold than too hot!

Since this is something that hasn't been occurring previously, definitely check with his physician--there may be a medical problem and your young man definitely needs to be tested for urinary tract infections. Whether or not there's something organically wrong, I'll bet that one of the first things the physician says is to eliminate the tea!

Edited by OregonMouse (05/26/13 10:03 PM)