Reviving a dead thread, but I've recently purchased one. Or, more accurately, traded in my MSR Miniworks for it, the decision was born mostly out of laziness.

I picked up the "Bottle" system, because it was reasonably sized, a little cheaper and (most importantly) was designed to mate onto Cascade (MSR, Nalgene) water bottles. I use MSR dromedary bags, so this was a mandatory choice for me.

I'm happy with it, I think the bottle system is the most practical for my standpoint and use. I did modify it by splicing in a camelback quick-connect unit to accommodate my homebrew hydration system - now I can fill it without taking it out of my backpack. +1 for laziness.

FWIW chemical treatment is less of an option for me, I will resort to it if needed, but I've lived on well water for my whole life, and I just can't stomach the city water/municipal pool taste the chemical treatments produce, so mechanical filtration it is.
I agree that in a glacier-dense area, chemical treatment or boiling may be the only options.

Edited by Robotmoose (05/07/13 03:56 AM)