I wasn't too sure whether to put this post in "Off Topic" or here, but since this situation comes to all owners of 4-pawed hiking buddies, I decided to put it here.

Late last week, my dog Hysson, whom a few of you have met, was diagnosed with lymphoma. This a fast-spreading cancer of the lymph nodes, and its first symptoms are swollen lymph glands. It seems to hit Golden Retrievers especially hard, and Hysson is 1/4 Golden. I just found out that both his grandmother (pure Golden) and his mother (half Golden) died of this disease.

There is no cure for lymphoma, but chemotherapy can delay the end for 12-15 months. I really didn't want to put Hysson through that just to have him for an extra year, especially since he's already feeling the effects of age. The chemo also costs $6500, which to my mind, since it's not a cure but only a prolongation of life, is not worth it. After discussing the alternatives with a canine oncologist yesterday, I made the decision simply to put Hysson on prednisone, which will give him a good month or two before the symptoms return. Without the prednisone, especially since he was already starting to feel sick, he would go steadily downhill and be dead in a few weeks.

So I'm going to be spending the next month or two, depending on how long the prednisone continues to work, giving Hysson everything he wants (well, within reason) and doing the activities he's always loved. For starters we will be spending 5 days at the beach with the grandkids (who have next week off from school). Lots of brushing, lots of treats, lots of nice walks and short hikes, especially in places where he can be off leash.

When the lymphoma starts to return, I hope I have the strength of will to let him go right away, before he starts feeling sick. He has given me over 10 1/2 years of unconditional love, and I feel that being with him through the end and keeping him from suffering is the least I can do for him.

Kipling wrote a lovely poem about "giving your heart to a dog to tear." Well, mine is tearing. It's the inevitable downside of being the "parent" of a wonderful animal whose lifespan is shorter than our own.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/13/13 04:40 PM)