Continuing some discussion from this thread....

Originally Posted By billstephenson
Quote:
No, I rarely make fires for LNT reasons.

Yeah, having a campfire has a lot to do with where you camp. You can have a fire here and LNT. The NFS does controlled burns every few years and it's really amazing how fast almost every trace is gone. I figured that since you're in the midwest you might have tried it out.

All you need is a small fire made with sticks, and that's easy to burn down to ash and scatter when you're done, then recover the spot with the same mulch you removed when preparing your spot and you've pretty much left no trace and what you have left will be untraceable after a rainstorm or two. You can't get away with that in most of the Sierras, but you can in the Ozarks.

You might want to try it in your backyard just for grins. If you make a clear plastic (visqueen) panel for the door, like your storm door, and pin the tarp down close to the ground it should work great as a "Super Shelter". I use bubble foil as a ground cloth in my campfire tent, but a heat sheet should work about as good.

I've been thinking of making one a lot like yours (I'm pretty sure I have watched your video before) because it's so much faster and easier to pitch, but the room in the Baker's Tent design is so sweet that I've not been impelled yet. (therein lies my real motivation for prodding you to try yours wink )

Bill,
It's not that I can't make fires, I just choose not to for personal LNT reasons. Every now and then I get a hankering (the pyro Jekyll coming back out), but it's pretty rare.

You're correct that a polycryo door would trap heat from a fire to a degree in my design. The problems with my half-mid design are you can vary the opening so much it's hard to get a door to fit unless you pitch it exactly right. Or maybe you could attach the door first and then pitch it? I've only used the door twice that I can recall (but I don't get out a lot either).

Anyway, you're also correct my first design was pretty cramped. That was because of the base material I used coming in 4x6 sheets so I taped 2 together for a 6x8 tarp. When pitched to the ground, it's quite tight. I did buy some heatsheets that are larger but don't like the orange color (LNT again). The one I made from polycryo is 6x9 which is better. I may even go larger since it's so light. Note: I don't use a bivy so the tarp is my only storm protection. Only real downside is no shade.