Before you’re really there?

Like 81% of the U.S. I’m an urbanite. I think because of this I undergo subtle but noticeable perception changes when hiking and camping. Little things, like sensing which way the trail will head before I get there, seeing order in the chaos of forest litter, picking my way through talus without backtracking, etc.

Overall, it’s a sense of comfort with my surroundings that I seldom experience on day hikes and not often on weekend trips. It seems to take three, even four days, sometimes just when hiking out (darn it).

Bringing this up in part as follow-up to the various map, compass, gps and navigation threads (the other part is fierce cabin fever). Once I’m in that boondock “zone” I seldom find myself referring to navigation aids on the go—often a parsing of the map before starting is enough. I have a good sense of where I am and where I’m headed. Also find it easier to ferret out ad hoc campsites, find drinking water, etc.

Does anyone else experience this, or am I just nuts? (Not mutually exclusive, but what the hey?) And you folks who have cougars stalking your goats at home, do you ever lose that "on the trail" feeling?

Cheers,