Hello,

I have a 12 yr old lab mix dog named Pearl who was injured about 4 years ago. Prior to her injuries, she was a great hiking companion, and loved going out with me on weekend trips. I worry about how she would fair if I reintroduced her to hiking/backpacking.

4 years ago when she was 8 she somehow managed to mangle her right hind leg pretty badly. She broke her leg in several places including where essential tendons/ligaments attach allowing the leg to move. After 5 surgeries, numerous pins, plates and screws later, she is able to comfortably walk and jog on the leg, although she does move with a limp.

I was wondering if anyone out here has reintroduced a dog with similar issues to hiking/backpacking and if so, how they faired. We visit a 35 acres offleash dog park freqently, and she does alright. I just worry that at her advanced age, and with her limp, she might be stressing other areas of her body. But she gets so EXCITED when I pull out my backpack, and so SAD when I drop her off at a friends house.