Originally Posted By JBrzysk
From your responses Im finding the top mount stove is best used boiling water because when you try to stir food in the pot atop the stove there is a tendency for the pot to fall off.

With this said would the real stability with these types of stoves be with the pot itself compared to the base of the canister?

The top mounted stoves are poor choices for cooking for several reasons. That doesn't keep some of us from trying, obviously. People also say (I also say) that the home made cat can stoves aren't really for cooking either, yet I have also fried an egg on one successfully without torching anything or damaging myself.

You can add a heat diffuser to avoid the scorching that can happen with a single-point flame, but that adds weight, of course. And there are some top mounts with wider burners, though they are necessarily heavier than the narrower ones (you should be detecting a theme here - some of the resistance to a stabilizer you will get is due to weight reduction - see the name of the forum for another clue).

Then there is the fact that all stoves have fiddle factor - all of them require tending at all times, just because they are on fire. You clear an area and you mind it, and try to avoid things like kicking it over (I did that) or tipping it over (did that too) or putting it where others will walk through... Since I am already minding the stove closely to avoid lighting the forest on fire, I really don't mind not having a tripod or stand to keep the stove upright. I should have done that already before I ever lit it - create a stable platform if the ground isn't level. That's part of good stove-manship.

http://hikeandbackpack.com