My problems with the original Pocket Rocket were legion. I never figured out why people even bothered with it. Some trips the water never boiled at all, sometimes the stove just went out inexplicably at the slightest breeze. One of the supports warped and then the pot sat lopsided on the stove, wiggling at the slightest movement. Another support got so loose that it flopped around instead of staying folded. Sad that I used it for just one year, and was not going out every single month as I do now, and still had all kinds of issues with it. I replaced it with a Snowpeak Giga and have had zero problems.

Of course, then I started with alcohol stoves, and now have a big box full of those. But canister stoves are useful when the fire bans descend.

I don't think I've ever felt the need for a stabilizer from the store. If I need to level something, rocks or chunks of wood or sticks fill the bill nicely.

http://hikeandbackpack.com