My first try at a "Super Shelter" was using a visqueen tarp I'd already made and taping some of the Walmart emergency blankets to it. It worked really good.

On the backpacking trip I did with ULHiker we were talking about it, and I told him I wanted to glue that material to my visqueen tarp. He told me about the SOL Emergency blankets, and said they'd probably work well enough to make a tent or tarp. I bought one and started playing with it and they are made from a much tougher, more durable plastic.

Honestly, I don't think the Tyvek will offer much advantage. I think, because of the weight and durability of the SOL material, that it's the best way to go right now. I carry duct tape with me when I take that tent backpacking, but so far it's held up very well and I haven't had to make any repairs.

On the other hand, the reflective surface on the SOL material does wear off, and it will lose its efficiency as it does. That may be the big weak link in using it.

I don't think that's the case with the Walmart type shiny material. My experience with that is that it stays shiny, but once it gets the tiniest of punctures or tears it goes to shreds. It would probably be a great choice for a laminate type material like you're talking about because once it's glued in place it won't go anywhere, and you may have something that will truly last for years.

I'm as anxious as can be to see what others come up with and how it works for them, so please do let us know about it.

"You want to go where?"