I have a Moment, and I used it with a down bag last year as the outer bands of hurricane Irene hit us in the mountains of WV. We were in the forest and the leeward side of the mountain, so we didn't have severe wind. We did have torrential rain, and there was constant condensation in the tent which dripped and shook loose from the top of the tent. These conditions were somewhat anticipated, including the condensation showers. The DWR on my bag prevented the drops from penetrating into the down. I just shook it out in the morning, and it was fine.

There is a 3.8 oz liner available for the Moment which would mostly solve the condensation shower problem. I have it, but it wasn't worth the weight for me to bring it on this trip where temps never went below 50F.

There are a few small things on the Moment to tighten it down, like the strap/buckle to tension the fabric on the main pole. There is also the side lineloc at the ends which tensions the lower fly fabric. Tighten everything down right before getting into bed, as this will allow time for the silnylon to sag from moisture after being pitched dry. Also, use guylines and trekking poles on the mid-panel tieouts which are also used for the optional crossing pole.

If the tent is holding together in high wind, then it's fine. That's the most which could be expected from a non-mountaineering tent.

Having said all of this, I now have the 2012 BA Copper Spur UL1. grin It's the same weight as my seam sealed (and silicone-coated floor) Moment with liner. I've taken it only on one trip so far, but that was winter in 4 ft of snow and a snowstorm in the UP of Michigan near Lake Superior. There's less room, but I like the double wall. The higher solid inner walls reduce the drafty feeling of the Moment's ground-level ventilation. It could probably use a few added guylines itself for windy areas, but I like the integrated condensation prevention (double wall with mesh ceiling inner).

In the images below, I didn't have the guylines on the head end of the tent staked. This didn't seem to matter much, as the wind was from the foot (north) end, and coming in from a small lake. Once the snow accumulated on the fly enough to start sliding off, it startled me. In my mostly-asleep state, it sounded like alien lasers ripping apart the nylon. eek

Edited by ohiohiker (07/14/12 01:50 AM)