Originally Posted By phat
And I suppose to be completely fair about it. really, it also depends you your goals..

If your trip style is to hike a short distance, camp for several days in comfort and lounge around - you're going to take *more stuff*. you're going to take stuff for comfort when you're in camp. Heck, I do it when I do that.. it's just that's not my usual style of backpacking.. normally I spend my entire day walking. I don't need amusements in camp, because I camp pretty much to eat a late supper and sleep.

Well, sure, a lot of this is true of him. But a lot of why he goes is a lot of why I go. He's a photographer. I am enough of one that I bought a better camera to take with me on my eight day high Sierra jaunt. I am sure he will not want to do the class 2-3 cross country passes, nor will he want to have hiked the miles per day we will be doing to get out into Evolution Basin. But he will probably plan to, someday, with his huge DSLR, after he sees the pictures I bring back.

He didn't really bring anything else to do. He said he'd taken enough pictures and so off he went home. He had a little tripod chair, but that was about it for extras. What he had that was heavy were the backpack, the bear canister (HUGE and full of food he didn't eat), the tent, and the sleeping bag. And some fleece layers.

http://hikeandbackpack.com