I am in the center of a dilema- mountaineering tent vs backpack tent. My current tent is the TarpTent Moment. It has condensation issues, but really works just fine for the Sierra. I am headed for a 37-day off-trail backpack in the Wind River Mtns. The last time I was in the Winds, I used the MSR MicroZoid and the Mountain Hardware Approach (a mountaineerint tent). After my epic last summer in the Tarptent Moment during a severe short-term storm (4 inches rain in 1 hour), I am not feeling very comfortable about the Moment in the Wind Rivers. I have a alpine bivy sack that I can add for backup, making my total shelter weight 3 lbs 8 oz. I am wondering if I cannot find a tent that would be less total weight and offer the same protection. Much of my camping will be above timberline, 11,000 foot range, with daily afternoon thunderstorms and REALLY HIGH WINDS. PS. The Moment is well used, zipper has had problems too. Oregon Mouse has offered many useful suggestions (I PM'd her because she KNOWS what the Wind Rivers are like!). Tent of choice = Heilleberg Anjan2, $570 - OUCH!!!. Wind, intense hail and rain are more of an issue than snow, so I am not talking exactly about a 4-season tent. I could also spend $240 and buy a bivy that is 7 oz lighter than what I have. Lots of $$ for a few oz. weight savings.

I am not convinced that UL gear is safe in mountaineering conditions. Convince me otherwise.