There are softer (and hopefully lighter and less bulky) versions of the night splint; I may get one to take along when I start backpacking again. Unfortunately, when we sleep, our feet relax into the pointy-toe position. That's why we need to be sure our sleeping bags will accomodate 2 inches more than our actual height.

The arch of the insole should fit snugly in front of your heel, even though it feels too far back at first. I got this bit of info from my GP. I finally got a podiatrist appointment, but not for another 3 weeks. I hope I can cancel it! While I'm not yet pain-free, my heel is at least 75% better. I was even able to go grocery shopping Saturday without having to use the store's electric cart (since the store was crowded and I haven't quite mastered controlling the thing, I was reluctant to use it). I'm of course still icing and stretching, and have started some strengthening exercises (scrunching towel with toes and picking up pencils with toes). I have an exercise bike at home so am using that.

It appears that one of the big keys to prevention is keeping the Achilles tendon limber. Stretch it (gently) before and after exercise.

Edited by OregonMouse (06/12/12 03:16 PM)