I switched three years ago. I had been a holdout for years, but I had become disenchanted with Goretex (like having my feet in a sauna, and it took 3 days for the boots to dry after water got inside). It's almost impossible to find women's hiking boots that do not have Goretex liners, and what I found didn't fit.

I tried Montrail Hardrocks and never looked back. In fact, I have never worn the boots since and they are going to Goodwill. I bought several pair of the Hardrocks, which was a good thing because Columbia Sportswear first bought them out and kept making the last poorer and then discontinued the Hardrocks altogether. I still have a pair that I recently started wearing and have one more brand new pair before I have to start looking all over again. (Moral--once you find the perfect shoe, buy several pair before the manufacturer changes the model.)

I used to have quite a few ankle-turning sessions with the boots (I have severe pronation problems) and was really apprehensive about the trail runners. When I first got them, I tried to turn my ankles on purpose and couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried! Not just IMHO but per the reports of others who know more about this than I do, it's the footbed of the shoe that keeps the foot and ankles stable, not a piece of leather around your ankles.

My son #3 has carried up to 45 lbs. wearing trail runners. In defense of the load, he was sherpa-ing for two young children and also hauling a heavy wet suit and his surfboard to the Olympic NP wilderness coast.

Of course everyone's feet are different, so you'll have to try them for yourself. As long as they fit properly, if you decide they don't work on the trail they will still be good for at-home, casual and exercise wear.

And welcome back to the forum!