I currently have a fantastic hiking partner in my 8 year-old "black lab mix," meaning there's no telling what's in there other than lab. She displays all the great lab traits in the woods - energetic, cheerful, attentive to me, doesn't get too far out of sight, etc.

She's gone on many weekend hikes with me, but now I'm wanting to take her on a longer expedition. But I'm afraid her enthusiasm could cause her to run into a forest service road just as a vehicle comes upon the trail crossing. This hasn't been a concern in the past because I've typically hiked in federal wilderness areas, where no roads or vehicles are permitted.

If I were within sight of the road, I have no doubt she'd come to my call rather than enter the roadway. But on a longer excursion I won't always know exactly when to expect the next road crossing, and I may be hidden behind a bend in the trail when she's at the roadway.

Has anyone ever tried to train their dog to ALWAYS stop and wait for direction when encountering a road? I can see how it might be a bit much to expect, but my dog's pretty sharp. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Lively or Not (04/23/12 12:45 AM)