Originally Posted By Mike Scott
Bill,
Thank you for your insight, these types of shelters are really cool, thought I feel that they are a bit big for backpacking. The use of a fire for warmth is awesome, but very specific to types of hikes... especially when/where you can build a fire. Then again, getting up to keep it going.

We had a pretty long discussion on campfire tents here when I first mentioned making that one. I'll point out a few things I learned while fiddling with this concept...

A tent made with that material will retain body heat inside better than just about any material I've seen. It doesn't have to be a Baker's Tent to do that, I think one designed specifically to retain body heat would be worth pursuing. I did some testing on that concept and, again, I was surprised with the results. SOL makes a bivy with their material, it's not what I'd want in a shelter, but it's worth looking at.

You don't *need* to keep a fire going all night long to stay warm in a "Baker's Tent" design, but a fire easily will warm that particular one up to 80ºF inside, and when your inside one when it's 10ºF outside, it's really, really, nice in there. The tent I made has a 42"x82" footprint and is 44" tall. It could be made smaller for a single person, but it only weighs about 1.5lbs and I like the extra room. A small tent that can take advantage of the campfire concept is worth considering. It adds something that's been lost for a long time.

A square tarp can be configured into a Baker's tent.

Turn the material inside out and it will provide shade *and* reflect heat.

The material is ultralight and it's pretty durable.

There are probably lots of better ways to design one for backpacking.

---

I think Glenn's bivy concept has merit, and it sounds closer to the goals you've described. I made a pack out of feedsacks awhile back. I used two sacks and put one over the other so I could adjust them, like a telescope, to make more, or less, room inside. That might be something to ponder a bit too...

"You want to go where?"