I got the tent setup down in the hollow below our place late this afternoon. I'm going down there in a bit and light the fire and see how it works. I have a little thermometer I'll bring with me.

It's roomy inside, definitely a big "Solo" tent. I ended up raising the roof by 2" and I'm glad I did. I can sit up in the center of the tent and I still have some headroom. And I made it 2" wider too. So the front opening is 44" high and 82" wide. The floor is 40"x82" and the back wall is 30" tall. I sewed some 3/4" nylon webbing hoops to hold the poles or use for stakes and tie off points.

I used some old tent poles from a cheap dome tent to set it up, but I'll probably just tie the roof to trees and stake the floor when I'm backpacking.

Here are a few pics of it.

This one shows the awning set up:

This is the back side:

Side view:

Front view with awning closed for sleeping:

Below is the "Campfire Mode". The awning is laid back on the roof, and the visqueen sheet is down to retain heat inside the tent. I think "Baker's Oven" is a good name for this tent laugh :

And this is opened up with both the awning and visqueen laid back over the roof. This might work good to keep you cool in the hot sun. The reflective side of the awning is up and covers the entire roof, so it should reflect the heat pretty good:

Edited by billstephenson (10/11/13 06:35 PM)