Quote:
Theres a wonderful diarama at the High Desert Museum here with a Baker tent and a cowboy sittin in front of it with a camp fire. The point being that there are no real new tent designs, only rehashes of old ones with new materials.

There's something about that scene that's iconic. You can just feel being there when you see it. I'm guessing he's got a pot of beans hanging from a tripod too wink

This project is absolutely a rehash with new materials. The material isn't well suited for tents. Just a light snag on a branch will poke holes in it, and stretch it, and those are important defects. But it is an interesting experiment that should highlight the potential of the positive characteristics of the material and the design.

So much gear is designed for backpacking out west that a campfire tent has become a long forgotten option. No one makes one for backpacking now. So, while this project doesn't represent anything truly new, it does demonstrate a potentially new option to consider. Where you can use it safely, a lightweight campfire tent would be a great thing to have. I don't think mine can truly be called a "Solo" tent though. It's more the size of a intimate two person smile

I got the tent mostly finished last night. I have a few more things I want to do before I set it up.

It's pretty windy here today, but should calm down later, so I might go down to the hollow below our house and set it up there and gather some sticks for a campfire tonight. It's supposed to get down to 31º by 6:00 pm here, so it will be plenty cold enough to test it for warmth with, and without, a campfire.

I'd rather wait to test it in strong wind until after I get a chance to test it for other things, like the size, warmth, condensation, ease of setup/breakdown, and packing.

I already know the design is pretty sucky when it comes to withstanding wind. I decided to extend the awning even more, making it 55" long instead of 44" because of that. I'm hoping that the extended awning pinned down at an angle will help it do better, but I don't want to see it get blown away and shredded before I get a chance to test the other stuff. laugh

"You want to go where?"