Minorth I agree with previous post of avoiding shelters. However, starting AT Newfound Gap and Hiking three miles to Icewater springs is a good hike for kids. It is also very popular shelter and full! Charles Buninion is only about 1.2 miles a way! Day two double back a bit and hike down to Kephart shelter. Day three out to the gap. I prefer as posted not to shelter camp. However with kids it is a good opportunity to try backpacking without extra weight of a tent or two! Or Bouvard Trail from Ice Water to Leconte is awsome, especially on a clear day! I would then hike out alum cave trail at arange a pick up to get to the gap! If The Preacher is on Leconte and it is Sunday they do a sunrise service on Myrtle Point! When it is clear the veiw alone is Heavenly! A day hike is also doable up to leconte with minamal gear. Booked well in advance Leconte lodge is a good way to introduce familly to backpacking. Resturant included in packages I beleive! I dont prefer this but it is very popular! Happy Trails