Quote:
you're better off with bedsheets or light canvas

That would be fun, and more authentic, but not near as light or warm.

I've played with the design for a bit now. I've made a couple 10'x10' tarps out of visqueen and hung the mylar blankets inside it and made a fire in front of it. The design works really well to capture heat, and the reflective surface does improve that.

I'm not worried about burn holes though. I build small fires and burn sticks, not logs, and they don't pop as much or as hard. They don't pop off big embers, or even pop off little ones very far. But I think when you start fiddling with campfire tent designs you have take into account that you may get some burn holes no matter what you make it out of. When I do get a hole in it I'll repair them with duct tape.

The polyethylene the SOL blankets are made of doesn't burn well, so it's not a bad choice of materials in that regard, and it is a lot more durable than the mylar sheets.

One thing that does bother me about the SOL blankets is that the shiny coating rubs off easily. The shine on the mylar doesn't. I have no idea if that stuff is toxic, but I suspect it probably isn't good for you. On the plus side, I won't be touching it much.

More than anything though, I'm doing this for fun. I like the design for several reasons and want to see if I can optimize it for my style of camping. It has a small footprint and I can set it up almost anyplace here I can find a flat spot that size. I won't need any poles or sticks because I can tie it off to trees, even small ones, and use stakes to pin it down. If I do want to bring poles, I won't need very many feet of them and I can configure them to break down pretty short and packable.

Others have built tents using this material. And others have built Baker's Tents and lined them with it. What I haven't seen is a solo Baker's tent made with this material, or a solo Baker's tent period. The closest thing I've seen is that MSR Fast Stash.

I'm not sure why that is, the design is probably older than anyone knows, but I have not found a single example of a solo Baker's tent. My design is probably bigger than it needs to be, but making the smallest possible, or even smallest practical, is not my goal. I want one that's smaller and comfortable.

I may not like it. I've made or bought stuff before that I thought would work well for me and ended up not liking it. The thing is, here in the Ozarks, a lightweight solo campfire tent really has a lot of potential. Not sales potential, hardly anyone backpacks here in the winter, but practical use potential. We'll see how it goes...

"You want to go where?"