Yeah! That sounds amazing!

As a flatlander, I really enjoy the mountains in Colorado. When preparing to go west, I focus on cardio. In the process my legs and back get a good dose of work too.

Altitude is a funny thing. I've been with groups where no one suffered any ill effects. I've been on trips with veteran hikers where all the sudden an experienced walker has suffered some icky-ness. I've not had a bad experience.

I drink a lot more water, try to rest very well, and eat sensibly.

This is what I do to prepare for 300 ft above sea level to 11,000 ft base camp: About 30 - 45 minutes from town, I drink a bunch of water. Really as much as I can... 32 ounces or so. Eat a nice dinner (no burgers)... drink more water. Go to bed early. Upon waking, drink a glass of water within 15-20 minutes upon waking. (It really gets your body going... and going and going... if you know what I mean.) And continue with the water all day. Not droning myself, but a healthy amount of steady fluids. Being from Memphis, I'm not used to the lack of humidity in Colorado, but I'm not sure about Machu Pichu.

Snacks help me drink more water. So I may only eat a very light meal, but snack throughout the day, thus helping me to drink more throughout the day.

When I get to the top of a hill... I stretch out my stride to help the legs, keep moving, and take a swig of water. I think you get my point...

Anytime you feel a headache coming... water and little rest. I think that leading groups, I've seen headaches as a sign more often of problems with altitude. But after a reminder to drink, most feel better after 15 minutes.

I sometimes even take aspirin because it helps thin the blood and thus circulate the oxygen easier throughout... I have no scientific proof that it helps me get up the hill faster or anything. smile

That's what I do. It works well for me and is a very general idea of staying on top of things. Sleeping at elevation is one of the old secrets of helping your body acclimate, so I try to do that as well when I can. Sometimes I can't until the first night on the trail... so be it. But coming from Memphis, a hill on the interstate can be serious elevation for me!

If true altitude sickness is an issue, so CAN get your doctor to prescribe you some of the altitude sickness medicine, but I have no idea how that would be handle while you travel internationally. I've had no experience taking the medication, but I know some who always carry it when going out west.

Hope that gives you some ideas! Have fun!