Quote:
"Now I will ask you the same question that I asked another "triple crown" hiker- which trail was your favorite and why? If you had only one to do again, which would it be? If you could choose one phrase or word (flavor) for each, what would they be? You are in a unique position to compare these three long trails."

Hands down it would be the PCT as my favorite, and this isn't just a matter of "be true to your school" (I live in WA state, the PCT is sort of my 'local' trail). The PCT is for me (and I think many/most I've talked to) the best balance of beauty, scenery, and variety of terrain and experience, balanced against the 'cost' of hiking it, i.e. it didn't kick my butt too-o hard. The CDT is the toughest of the trails (though I think I started a bit too early on a fairly tough year), and the AT is IMO just about equally tough as the PCT, but with less (or at least different) benefits.

ONE word for each? That's tough. Can I have two each??
AT: "Least Scenic"
PCT: "Beautiful & Varied"
CDT: "Beautiful & Tough"

Okay, and I'm cheating with the ampersands, but ... !

I don't mean to completely knock the AT; living on the west coast, it was kind of cool from a history and geography perspective, and really a cultural perspective to hike that trail. I'm not saying it has no scenery (!), just that the knock about it being a 'green tunnel' is indeed more true than on the other two trails. And unlike what some folks think, the AT isn't necessarily easier; it's "differently hard". The Whites and parts of Maine can be quite difficult, and the "pointless ups and downs" and the overall trail quality (despite a lot of work by dedicated trail clubs) is lower. And also on that trail, I started on the early side (late Feb last year) in a high snow year for the south, which likely skews my sense of how difficult it is vs. the others (the coldest nights I had on any of the trails were down into the teens on the AT in Georgia and Tennessee/North Carolina).

There are of course great benefits on the AT too: generally the least amount of food, water, and gear to carry makes for light pack weight. Great and frequent trail towns and associated trail culture, where the thru-hiking phenomenon is well understood along the way. But my personal opinion is that the AT is so popular only due to inertia and the relative populations --- so many people live in the eastern part of the country and naturally want to hike "their" long trail. IMO would-be thru-hikers would do better to make the PCT their first long trail attempt if they think it at all likely that they'll only do one thru-hike. Unless due to proximity or for whatever reason, the AT is just more 'meaningful' for you. In which case, of course, hike the AT !

But I have little incentive to walk much of the AT again. Parts of the CDT I would like to see another time, in somewhat more benign weather conditions. If I were do to any significant miles on any of these again, however, it would definitely be the PCT.