To my knowledge only Olympus and Pentax make dslr cameras and lenses that are equally weatherproof. I don't want to call them waterproof as that implies being submersible, which they aren't. But I can shoot in rain that has others running for cover. It's a nice feature.

I still don't have a good answer for lugging an slr while carrying a full backpack, so I usually only take one on day hikes and take a compact on overnights. I'll eventually get into a mirrorless system tailored for backpacking.

Cheers,

Originally Posted By MPCWatkins
This is a great thread. I'm also looking into getting a DSLR for backpacking. Did a trip with my siblings Canon Rebel and had it slung over my shoulder/neck for the duration. About a day in I vowed I would never hike with a DSLR unless I had a good carry option. That Keyhole looks promising, but what about overnight and storm storage? Thoughts on Lowepro bags?

What would be suggestions for a intro/intermediate camera that is weatherproof? I saw the Nikon 40D, but I'm wanting to go Canon so that I can share components with my brother and sister. Anyone know the Canon equivalent?