I want get some opinions and inputs from those of you who have been backpacking for years in regard to permit ethics. I'm going to use the GSMNP as an example.

The GSMNP have lot of campsites all over the park as well as shelters along the AT and some of them not far from the AT. All of the shelters and a few campsites are reservation only. Meaning, we have to call ahead of time to reserve. (shelters need 4 weeks in advance)On the day of your hike you go to the ranger station and fill out your permit. I've only had experience backpacking out of Big Creek ranger station where there is a kiosk stand in front of the ranger station and you just grab the permit and fill it out.

With all of that said. What do you guys/gals think of people who do not "reserve" campsites in advance but fill out a permit paper at kiosk stands in the park and camp there? Some of these reserve campsites can fit from 5-20 people. Do rangers give out tickets for people who filled out a permit paper at the station without a ranger helping them, and camp at sites that they didn't reserve even though there is either no one camping there and/or still plenty of space available for another camper? During my AT thru-hike in the Smokies, the group leader said he reserved the shelter 4 weeks in advanced. Some other people were at the shelter too, but I have no idea if they reserved it too or not. I didn't ask. Later that night two hikers showed up in exhaustion and pitch their tent in front of the shelter (which is technically against the park's rule) and proceed to sleep for the night. The next morning everyone at the shelter and the two hikers in the tent all talked about where they're going and where they came from and moved on. It seems like there is a "don't ask, don't tell" mentality in this area in regard to campsites that suppose to be reserved in advance. I'm sure the park rangers can look at copies of the permits they collect from kiosk stand and noticed people camping in areas they didn't reserve, but I have no clue if they actually enforce these rules or they just let it slide if no harms or fouls were done.

It seems like the rules are posted, but everyone seems to disregard reservation rules but still obey everything else. What are your thoughts on this situation?