Originally Posted By lori
The GPS connectivity being one way means only that you'll have your coordinates... unless you also have a cell tower to connect to so you can call us and tell us. But at least it's something.

That's absolutely true Lori, and I should have mentioned too that your post is well thought out and your points are very valid.

I should have also pointed out that the link I provided in my last message uses "Geolocation". That means that the software that runs the page I linked to will first try to use your device's built-in GPS, but if its not turned on, or not receiving a signal, or you don't have a built-in GPS, it will then try and use other methods, like Google's Location Services, which may use cell towers, your IP address, wifi networks, etc, but they won't be near as accurate as a GPS.

If you're looking for an ice cream shop, the geolocation features on your smart phone can work just great to tell you where there are some nearby, if you're lost in the mountains and need help, its not always so great for the reason you point out.

That said, I have used my Android phone's GPS with free mapping software and it really works pretty good. Better than I expected. Sucks up the batteries though....

And, I think you'll find the little "Radar" app I'm making will have some value too. The real beauty of "Smart Phones" and "Apps" is that they can be tightly focused on a specific purpose, and anyone can make one. So, while there are those who are working hard on making cool GPS mapping apps for hikers, others, like me, can work on one for hikers that's just for weather, and you can choose the ones you like most from all of them.

I see great things happening because of web enabled smart phone type devices. You certainly have to be aware of their shortcomings, but at the same time you can take full advantage of what they offer.

One of the best things about them is, once you have your device you can carry as many apps as you want and they don't add any more weight laugh

"You want to go where?"