Hey all,

I consider myself a lightweight hiker (certainly not ultralight). I through-hiked the PCT a while back with an 18lb baseweight. SInce then my baseweight has creeped up mainly because I have gotten into photography and carry more camera gear, so it is now in the low 20s. I have hikes with a ULA P2 pack since 2003 and loved it but I think it is finally breaking down as it doesn't seem to hold the weight the way it used to (or maybe I'm just getting old!). Anyway, I am thinking about buying a new pack that can handle up to 35 lbs to account for food and water on a long trip. I am always one that has subscribed to having the lightest system that works for you, but I have always wondered whether this is the case with packs in particular. So here is my question: Is it better to carry a lighter pack with less suspension or something heavier with more. In my case I am either looking for some similar to my 2.5 lb P2 (perhaps Granite Gears BlazeAC (just under 3lbs) but have considered the Osprey Kestrel 68 (4lbs) and even the Osrey Aether 70 (5lbs) thinking that it might be worth carrying 37 lbs on a really strong support system than 35 on not as strong). What are people's thoughts?