I am solely replying to you as I dont have time to read all the replies, which iam sure contain good info. I have had one of the cheapo shakespeare telescopic rods (the little 4'6" ones)for 12+ years? now and have pulled in everything from cutthroat in Yellowstone to largemouth in wisconsing, to big pike in the boundary waters. I swear i though the thing was gunna snap so many times when in to a big one but it would bend in half unlike any pole (I am an avid angler) I have ever had and keep on going. Also my friend bought his the same time as me and still has his as well and uses it regularly. For the price (like 15 bucks on Amazon) I would have to recommend it and I tend to shy away from recommending products.

As for line/tackle/bate/ well that is so situational I would not know where to start except that no matter what, I always keep a few "inline spinners" with me. these are akin to Mepps or Panther Martins and tend to be an all around good spinning reel lure for all types of fish from trout to musky. NOTE: I do not often fly fish unless going with people who solely do, and really know how to as it is an entirely different art form within itself smile