Originally Posted By GDeadphans
Every can stove has a different performance value to them.

Some burn hotter, boil faster, but wont stay lit long. Some burn a bit cooler, take a bit more time to boil, but will stay lit longer.

I would definitely recommend Paulo's recommendation with the testing.

And as a general rule of thumb, on any system that's well designed- hotter stoves that boil faster use more fuel than lower flames that take longer to boil. For example, I've got many stoves that can boil 2c water in 3.5mins, give or take, but burn out in 5mins on 1oz of fuel. I have other stoves (kinda like the mini bull nion, for those that can remember back that far) that boil the same 2c water in about 10 mins, but will burn for nearly 30 on that same oz of fuel. So, if you are just trying to boil water and nothing else, you could get the job done on 1/2oz of fuel- means less fuel to carry. But, the super efficient stove may be more susceptible ot adverse conditions, I can't say. I live in the Sunny SoCal Desert, my conditions are almost always agreeable.

Now how many of your remember the mbd sst? I made one of those once, a few years ago- dunno why I got rid of it... would make for a fun conversation piece, sounded like a jet engine...

BM