Yeah, it does seem like I have to figure out the trade-offs and go from there. If it wasn't for the fact that I've been having a hard time finding a good limb, it would probably be a non issue. The last several outings we traveled mainly through doghair stands of pine, which are useless to hand from. On one trip, we camped somewhat near a couple who had a bear canister. I found myself a bit envious looking at them enjoy the view while I trudged off to find a good limb. After a LONG time searching, I found a decent older tree that was very far away from camp.

I like the idea of renting one to try it out. I'll have to check with the forest service in my area and see if they offer this. Right now I don't believe bear canisters are required anywhere I might be hiking, so I'm not sure if there is a big rental market here. I looked into other brands like the Bearikade. I guess one of the main selling points for me was that the bear keg is made here in Montana. But I would welcome a little less weight (it's kind of a wash- any weight I lose from my pack this year because my son carries more just gets replaced with the bear container).

I'm still torn, but thanks for the great ideas everyone. I might have to revisit the Ursack too. Seems like that might be a good compromise for me.