Quote:
I tend to do the same, and toss in some extra stuff if I know I've got a rookie (or an incredibly disorganized veteran) backpacker with me.

Among the small things I started bringing is a little box of temporary dental filling in my first-aid kit. It made it in there about 20 years ago after someone I was with lost a filling and was in pretty bad pain as a result. I replace it every few years, and about 7-8 years ago I had it when this happened again.

I carry about 20-40 ft of "Trot Line" with me. I can use to hoist food, help tie off a tent, tarp or hammock, and replace a broken shoelace. It won't help you repel down a cliff face, but it has many uses and I almost never use it for myself.

I carry a big curved needle and heavy black thread. This I sometimes use as a deterrent to what I perceive might be upcoming stupid behavior. I pull it out and announce "Hey, if anyone gets a good cut or gash I have my needle and thread with me and I've always wanted to stitch someone up with it!"

So far I've only stitched up a few cheap day packs.

I carry a few "Imodium", aspirin, Advil, Tylenol, generic OTC allergy pills, and some antacids. I've only used the aspirin or Advil, and very seldom used those. I really bring them to give away to others and often do.

To be honest, pulling these little "Rabbits" out of my pack is kind of fun, the guy who lost the filling was amazed when I pulled that stuff out of my pack and so was I when it worked wink

Having something that someone needs or forgot also provides a good excuse to pester them with some of the lessons you've learned. Who doesn't enjoy that? smile

"You want to go where?"