My granddaughter is program director of a camp/school for "at-risk" kids from Little Rock, Ark.

The school has a fairly extensive and very effective camping program that is almost backpacking. The trips are to nearby spots, but the kids carry most of their gear, set up their own camp and do their own cooking.

I don't think I have to explain to this group why or how such an approach is effective in developing a positive self-image among youngsters who have rarely seen success, nor the impact of that positive self-image on their ability to learn.

The camp is primarily supported by the Kiwanis Club (big credit to the Kiwanians), and the camping gear is all donated. Problem: The donated tents are all too heavy for the youngsters to pack. Good tents, but close to ten pounds each.

Obviously, there are tents out there that the kids could carry themselves, and that using them would strengthen an already effective program.

I would like to help replace the tents. The problem is that they need about 16 units, and that's more than I can do out of my own pocket. I did a search for grant sources, without a lot of luck. Then it hit me that there might very well be someone who posts here who is more familiar with funding sources.

Any ideas? Thanks for your attention