BarryP I agree that some terrain is suitable for sandals, and perhaps the Tevas work well for you. I just haven't found that leaping up on rocks or logs is all that great, you don't get the same level of torsional support from a sandal in long stretches of difficult terrain such as sidehilling, muddy or snowy slippery stuff, and such. I also own Tevas and at 190lbs I also don't get the same level of footbed support while climing on rough rockwork as my Merrell Chameleons or the Keen Targhees.

Do you hike off-trail with your Tevas? We went on a little bushwack over logs and through thick rough coastal forest last weekend and sandals would be less functional there too.

If you find they work well for the terrain you cover, more power to you! I do a lot more off-trail and rough thrashing than many others on this site so I'll stick with the hiking shoes for now. Sure you can do all the things I mention, but there is more foot strain and muscle wear and tear because you are less certain of your footing and have less lateral support over rough and changing terrain. Another example, coming up a very steep scree slope on a "route" through the Tombstones was tough even with the mountaineering boots I had. At the end of the day, more time and less physical problems have been my experience with low, exceptionally supportive hiking shoes.