A spinning reel loaded with 4 lb. test line and an 1/8 oz. rooster tail is probably my first choice right now for trout. The same rig with 8 lb. line has caught a lot of bass. A few spare lures won't take up much room.

Pinch down the barbs for trout if you want to throw them back. Makes unhooking much easier on the fish. Barbed hooks, you just about kill the fish unhooking them with treble hooks. For bass you will need barbs.

Be familiar with the regulations in the area, as there are some fly fishing only trout streams, also watch minimum length of the kept fish, also subject to regulations. And there are a few spots where it is illegal to fish. If you get caught, you will be fined, so keep up with the regulations.

I am currently using some spinning rods and reels that I got for less than $20 on sale at target. Work great! Get something that looks well made. The biggest thing is a good drag. You will have a hard time judging this right now. The drag gives line to the fish when he pulls hard. I have caught fish with 4 lb. line that were 10-15 lbs. If your drag is set right, and doesnt stick , the fish can't break your line. Of course, if there is a snag nearby, the fish can go in to that, so you may need heavier line when fishing a place with snags.

Many reels have a number such as 20, 2000, 30, 3000. I'd recommend one that starts with a 2 or 3. I prefer the 3 for trout.These are slightly larger for a faster retrieve. A fast retrieve makes it easier to land fish. They will probably be able to hold 200 yds. of 8 lb. test or so. This is the size I prefer. My 3 is old, though, so I may take a 2 this time.

Don't fill it completely with 4 lb. test, fill it with 8 than add 50 yds. or so of 4 lb. Otherwisise you'll use a lot of 4 lb. line. The lighter line wont' take up as much room on the spool, so you can almost fill it normally with 8 lb and still be ok.

Other lures that I've had good luck with for trout are small spoons less than 2 in. long, #0 -#1 Mepps spinners, a big nightcrawler with no weight or maybe some split shot , small rapala type lure.

You may want to go for 6 or 8 lb. test line if you are just starting, as it can be tricky landing a largish trout on 4 lb.

Needle nose pliers are good for unhooking fish that have swallowed the bait. I consider tham a ncecssity.