Fortunately I have good boys and parents in my Den. They are technically Webelos which is the last 2 years of cub scouts. Scout rules allow us to camp without parents so long as we have sufficent trained leaders. I would like to take them on a short hike to a campsite. I don't expect that they will learn everything but they will quickly realize that they (not Dad) has to carry their stuff. They will realize maybe I don't need a big cooler and chairs, and and and. This trip I will probably allow 2 trips to the campsite. The main thing I want to accomplish is the 1st exposure so that when it comes to the real thing it won't be a total shock. This goes for some parents too when choosing equipment. When the overnight low is expected to be 50 they don't need the 8 pound -10 degree bag. Realizing how little the boys can carry is going to be a challenge. My son barely weighs 60 pounds so his pack should be less than 15. By the time you add a small pack, water 1/2 tent sleeping bag and pad I am pretty much there.