I am a very experienced canoer and the greenest of kayakers. I put my slalom kayak in a lake Saturday for half an hour and it was my first trip in a rigid kayak with a double bladed paddle. So sometimes the simplest observations are the most valuable like:
Its a lot harder to get into and out of a kayak AND its harder to shove off and jump into a kayak.
A kayak is wetter because its lower and half of the time theres a wet paddle blade above you.
Kayaks are insensitive to wind.
It may be easier to paddle slowly in a canoe than in a kayak and
canoeing can be totally quiet but kayaking always has a splashing paddle.
A kayak seems to be more stable owing to your low placement, but Those things roll easily.
A kayak does not hurt my knees (like a canoe)as I generally kneel in a canoe and now I have a knee that doesn't like being kneeld on.

my neighbor borrowed one of my my canoes for two days and on the second morning he said "whats a J stroke?" Then on the second day he stepped into the boat without putting his hands on the gunwales and landed in the drink. I hd assumed that someone wanting to borrow a canoe would know how to use it. Why would I do that?
Jim