I was diagnosed with Type II about a year ago - it was actually one of the better things to happen to me. I've started eating right, lost 50 pounds, brought my cholesterol down (it was approaching 200 before), and generally feel a lot better. For the last 6 months, my A1c level has been stable at 6.0. I do take oral medication, but no insulin. Not knowing the specifics of your case, I'm not going to try to make recommendations for you, but I will share what has worked for my case.

I'm not going to claim any particular expertise on diet; Sarbar and Mouse were immensely helpful there. I have found that, for backpacking, I could still use freeze-dried foods for supper - though I switched to the Enertia brand. (I'm not into drying my own foods.) The Enertia website does a good job listing the carbs and sugars, and I simply stay with the ones that are lower in those areas.

I also started looking for granola bars that were reduced-sugar or otherwise had lower sugar levels (Quaker makes several varieties, and I found some of the Nature Valley brands to be pretty good, too.) For breakfast, I've found I can use a Quaker Oatmeal to Go bar, though I often simply mix some dried fruit and nuts (cherries, raisins, walnuts, and pecans are my favorite) into plain old Quaker oats, in the round box. I prepack the oats, fruit and nuts into ziplock bags. The Quaker Oats have no sugars added, and I find that 1/2 or 1/3 serving (of the serving size listed on the package) of the fruit and nuts is plenty, and doesn't add a lot of sugar.

For lunch, I usually eat a stick of beef jerky, some dried fruit, some nuts, and a granola bar and let it go at that.

When I first tried this menu on a hike, I took blood sugar readings both before and after meals, and stayed well within the "<110 before" and "<140 two hours after" levels my doctor recommended. (Eating a granola bar mid-morning and mid-afternoon pushed me closer to the 110 before lunch and supper than I usually am at home, but I was still under the limit.) I always had plenty of energy.

For me, the additional exercise on a backpacking trip lets me eat a higher-carb diet than I would at home.

Listen to Sarbar, Campermom, and Mouse; they were incredibly helpful in getting me transitioned.