Hey - & thanks for replying :-)

I've searched Ventile's webpages but didn't find information about weight per area so have contacted them to find out more.

@finallyME:
Originally Posted By finallyME
Anyways, they make some pretty tight weave cotton that is approaching nylon weights, and would make a somewhat light shelter if used sparingly.
. Do you have a productname or a link to a webpage for this?

Regarding silk, yes, I've considered it, but as far as I know silk is not that feasible when used in the sun. Apparently, the sun decomposes the structure of the silk, making it rather short-lived when exposed to the sun. However, Indian people use silk extensively, and there's some sun in India .... Another aspect, which also is important to me is the way it's manufactured and as far as I know some silk is still manufactured in ways that are quite hard on humans. But thanks for the suggestion about waxing or oiling the silk. Might be feasible if I can find the right type of silk ("natural silk", which is not the correct name, though, can be made without killing the silk worm, as well).

@MarkNM: Yes, Tyvek's also a possibility. I've checked it out - very lightweight! - and although I'm not otherwise sure about its environmental credentials Dupont does offer to recycle it free of charge when end of life is reached ....

Hmmm ... thanks again for your comments and suggestions. I would say that I now know what I need to move on.

Cheers,

Jesper