Originally Posted By phat

First of all let me be clear, I hike to enjoy myself, not to lose weight. The only reason I'm posting this is I've been following weight watchers when not hiking (Weight watchers can be left in town with the computer when I hike. I enjoy myself more).

At home, I follow a low carbohydrate eating system. I managed to drop from nearly 250 lbs to about 180 lbs on it in 2004. Plus a lot of bicycle camping.

When I backpack, it is seemingly impractical to follow a low carb eating system, so it stays at home as does your WW plan.

On trips longer than a week, I find myself losing weight unless I hit towns and pig out.

I did a rough analysis of trail food, and find it works out to only about 3,000 Cal/day. People commonly cite 4,000 Cal/day or more for backpacking expenditures.

I have never bothered to count the backpacking carbohydrates. High on the consumption are the easily found and prepared carbohydrate dishes of flavored mashed potatoes, Knorr "Sides" of pasta or rice base, candy bars, energy bars, hard candies, dried fruits (and vegetables)....

Last summer, I came back from the trip at 173 pounds, and in a couple of weeks had plumped back up to my low to mid 180's level.

Enjoying the hike is more important than a sticking with a weight based diet plan, and for most, one need not worry about gaining weight from a hiking trip of good duration.

Have a good trip.